Skip to main content

How can I be one with myself?

 Welcome to my blog,

This semester in "Who am I", we've been thinking about what makes us unique and how can we relate to others. We started to research the Ojibwe people. Once we started researching them, we started to look into things that make their people unique. We went on several FEs to dig deeper into risk, doubts, and dreams, from learning Ju-Jitsu to talking to a personal financial planner. We learned not only, physical safety, but also learned financial safety. We also learned about the “Freud theory” which is comprised of three parts. The id generally works unknowingly according to the pleasure principle. The ego operates according to the reality principle within the conscious area. A super-ego that functions on the basis of moral principles at all levels. According to the “Great spider story”, dreamcatcher gets rid of bad dreams and allows good thoughts in our heads only when we are asleep. The little hope in the middle of the dream catcher is where good dreams come. The bad, and scary dreams disappear with the sunshine. For this project, I created a dream catcher.



My dream catcher has a very deep and personal connection to me. The colors symbolize the holy trinity and the divinity of the Roman Catholic Church. The middle, though you cannot see it, is empty. It's there to leave room for improvement. It's there to show that, when you find faith in religion, you can still have much-needed room for improvement. The colors of the dream catcher represent so many things. All of which are very dear to me as a devout Christian & having Catholic beliefs. These colors help me understand the time of the “season” it is. From Lent to Easter the colors represent as follows:

  • White & Gold represent the birth and eventual rebirth of Christ. 

  • Red represents the color of blood and, therefore, of martyrdom. 

  • Purple, worn during the Advent and Lent seasons, purple reflects sorrow and suffering. Sorrow as the faithful awaits the arrival of the Savior and suffering to mark Jesus Christ's suffering in the desert (Lent) for 40 days.

  • Pink, a special color worn only twice, represents a time of joy amid a period of penance and prayer. 

  • Green represents the hope of Christ's resurrection.

  •  Blue is the symbol of the Virgin Mary.

  •  Black used in Masses for the dead as a sign of mourning.  

The colors also have a deeper meaning to them. Red, was my nephew's favorite color before his untimely death. Green, my mother as well as my grandmother's favorite color. We started this semester learning about Desecrates and the surrealist movement. During this time, Descartes had the knowledge or perception that as humans, we were born with the ability to have higher consciousness and knowledge ordained by god. The surrealism movement had the idea that it aimed to revolutionize the human experience. It balances the rational vision of life with the unconscious, dream-driven vision. Artists of the surrealist movement, discover the magic and bizarre beauty in unexpected, mysterious ways of overlooked and unconventional.

Lastly, the Ojibwe tradition of putting the feathers on the dream catcher, they are hanging from the lower sides of the circle serves an important purpose. They help the trapped dreams from the web glide gently down to the person sleeping below. I did not include this in my dream catcher because we cannot accurately depict the Ojibwe tradition because, we have to appreciate, and not appropriate it. We are not them, and we are not them, and we have no intentions of being them. Their culture is unique to them but what can I as a student do to keep their culture alive, but also respect it for what it is. 

Explaining the reason behind it is a little, well it’s quite long. From the feelings of torture to the feelings of being alone. I’ve long dealt with a lot of issues pertaining to me feeling like I had to do this all alone. With regards to the tradition, I cannot make this part of the dream catcher. From what we read and learned about this specific part of the tradition, these are meant to be a sort of, place where all of the negative energy slides down, away from the individual whose dream catcher it is. Now if I were to do this, it would've been the same beads from what I used in the center of the dream catcher, the colors represent what's dear to me. The purple for the times of mourning, the black for the sign of mourning. 

I part with saying this, everything that we as people on this rock we call earth, live using other people's inventions, and so many traditions that we use have been passed down and taken from other people's cultures. The dream catcher has been violated and changed by people who have no true meaning of the dream catcher nor the inner beauty of it. 

It has been greatly changed. There are a lot of people who look for the inner beauty of it as the real tradition of the Ojibwe people. I've learned to question things, take risks but still keep myself safe. I've learned to doubt things, but still keep an open mind, maybe sooner or later I’ll be ready to let go of quite a few things,


Thank you for reading my blog. 

Sincerely,


 LGJ


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...