Skip to main content

What in the Geothermal?!

Welcome to my blog,

This semester we've been working on fossil fuels and renewable energy. We've been trying to get to the root of what makes a specific fuel better than the other. 
In this AP we were given the task of trying to convince someone to switch to renewable energy. I chose geothermal energy. The reason is, it's safer, it's cooler, it awesome, and Kamala Harris is a big advocate for geothermal energy. 

Wanna know why you should choose geothermal energy? It has great advantages to it. It's clean, by clean I mean no carbon emissions, no destruction, or deforestation to build a power plant, all you need is a big back year and couple thousand dollars. 
It's also very low maintenance, all it needs is a technician to come and check it once every 9 months for servicing. 

The US is leading in the geothermal power industry, but they’re quite a few geothermal plants all over the world including The geysers geothermal complex in California, the Darajat power station in, Indonesia.

These locations deliver power to tens of thousands of people’s homes. Especially in Indonesia, where there is an ongoing energy crisis. This power plant powers just under 150,000 homes. In California, home to the world's largest geothermal power plant "The Geysers" it can power just over 875,000 homes! Now isn't that some great stuff!


I learned from this that renewable energy is way safer than a lot of the things we get our energy from today.
One thing I found very easy this AP was the math. I struggle a lot with math, but this time it seemed to be a bit easier, something that I found challenging would've been the research. Geothermal energy is fairly new, so there weren't too many articles or stories about it. It required some intensive digging, but I found what I needed in the end.  I'm most proud of getting this AP done so quickly, being actively engaged in the assignment, and wanting to finish this one. 

Thank you all, I hope that once you see my points about geothermal energy you'll make that oh so sweet change from those old fossil fuels to that amazing GEOTHERMAL ENERGY!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...