Skip to main content

A Garden of Renewal

Welcome to My Blog!

In a desolate part of Japan, where drought ravaged farmland, a visionary farmer saw potential in land that many would have overlooked. He revitalized this barren soil and accomplished the unimaginable: he grew food in a desert. In our "Food" unit, we delved into the origins of nutrients in our food, exploring both macro and micronutrients. We also studied the concepts of composters, decomposers, and producers, drawing insights from naturalist farmer Masanobu Fukuoka and biologist Charles Darwin.

Transitioning to mathematics, we applied formulas to calculate the volume and area of various shapes. With an open mind, I approached the Action Project (AP) with excitement about redesigning the White House Rose Garden. This course included a trip to Plant Chicago, where we learned about mushrooms as decomposers and how to cultivate them.

Our AP tasked us with building a garden. Since I already had a garden at home, I wanted to create something new. I reached out to my teacher, who encouraged my idea of redesigning "The White House Rose Garden." I chose this garden because it embodies valor and diplomacy, having hosted many significant foreign meetings and state dinners throughout presidential history.

Fun fact: when Queen Elizabeth II visited the White House, she walked on the very grasses of the Rose Garden, making it a site of royal significance. In 2020, the Trump Administration initiated "Project Rose Thorn," led by First Lady Melania Trump, which involved a controversial revamp of the rose garden. She removed decades of history, including the grasses that the Queen had stepped on and the roses planted by Jackie Kennedy.

I began by researching blueprints for the White House Rose Garden, a challenging task since it is the White House! After some searching, I found the architects' plans for the Trump-era remodel. I was astonished to learn that they removed 25 feet of grass to make way for a limestone walkway.

Once I understood what I wanted to do, I calculated the garden's area. Since all my plots were either squares or rectangles, I used the formula L×W. The garden's dimensions were 60 ft x 125 ft, giving me an area of 7,500 square feet. For the volume, I calculated 60ft×10ft×125ft, resulting in 75,000 cubic feet.

Next, I selected a variety of plants suitable for the climate of Zone 7 (which defines the hardiness of the soil). I aimed for plants that would be easy to reach and enjoyable to eat—something any president should want in the world’s most prestigious executive mansion. Below is my planting schedule:

Flowers:

  • Marigolds: Early April
  • Roses: Early January
  • Sunflowers: Mid-April
  • Tulips: Mid-March

Fruits:

  • Blackberries: Mid-May
  • Blueberries: Early March
  • Raspberries: Early March

Herbs:

  • Dill: Early January
  • Rosemary: Mid-February

Vegetables:

  • Beans: Early May
  • Cabbage: January
  • Carrots: Early March
  • Collards: Early March
  • Green Beans: Early April
  • Peas: Mid-March
  • Snap Peas: Mid-February
  • Spinach: Mid-April
  • Tomatoes: Mid-March

This was my design and plan for the garden. I hope you enjoyed my presentation! I found this project fascinating as it allowed me to merge my passion for politics with my love for roses. 

Below is my slideshow for your viewing. 

Have a wonderful day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...