Skip to main content

Quokka Balloza

In this unit in Population, we were mainly focused on Taxonomy, we then talked about the many different characteristics of animals. For our first action project, we had to choose an animal and examine its characteristics and taxonomy. Further, we were assigned to make a collage depicting those characteristics. We next had to compare each other's organisms to one another to create a Venn diagram comparing their features. 

This chart shows the different taxonomic levels my organism is a part of and what characteristics they have as a result of being a part of that group.


Taxonomic Level

Your organism’s group

Key characteristics of the group

Kingdom

Animalia

Animal, animaux, animals 

Phylum

Chordata

Cordés, cordado, chordates 

Class

Mammalia Linnaeus

Mammifères, mamífero, mammals 

Order

Diprotodontia


Family

Macropodidae Gray

Kangaroos, wallabies 

Genus

Setonix Lesson

Quokka 

Species

Setonix brachyurus (Quoy and Gaimard, 1830)

Quokka 




The Quokka, is a small marsupial native to Australia.  Quokkas are herbivores and eat native grasses. They consume all the leaves, stems, and bark of a variety of plants. Like cows, they eat their food twice.  These animals do not need a lot of water to survive.  Quokkas are most often active at night. They tend to be docile and non-aggressive unless their young are threatened. They are generally nocturnal.


LG, Quokka, 2022


Smile:  The world's happiest animal.

Claws: They will attack if provoked.

Pouch: They carry their offspring in a pouch.

Tail: They store needed fat in their tails in case of emergency.



Here is a diagram comparing Quokkas with their cousin the Kangaroo: 


Kangaroo (Macropus Rufus) 

Both

Quokka (Setonix brachyurus)


Tail


Through Australia

Claws

Rottnest Island


Pouch


Height 3’ - 8’


Height 6in - 12in

Long ears

Herbivores

Short ears

Four babies @ a time

Hop

Two babies @ a time



Math Statements: 


Indigenous to Australia ={Kangaroo, Cassowary, Tasmanian Devil, Numbat}

Herbivores ={Cows, Deers, Elephants, Elks}

Quokka={Marsupial}

Marsupials={Kangaroos, Wallabys, Kolas, Wambat, Possums} 

Mammals = {Dog, Cat, Human, Dolphin, Whale}


I really enjoyed this project because, it helped me understand the vital role that animals play in our research of genealogy. I struggled with the math portion but I believe that others can learn from this too, because who doesn’t want to know all about the “World’s Happiest Animal”.




Sources:


Bennett, Emily. “Fun Facts About the Quokka, the Happiest Animal on Earth.” Real Word, 15 Dec. 2020, www.trafalgar.com/real-word/facts-about-the-quokka.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...