Skip to main content

Penguins:

In the second unit of my class Population, we learned a lot about the evolution of the earth. We went to Lincoln Park Zoo, to see how different animals look alike and how closely they were related. We also learned about different math concepts such as standard deviation and how to categorize a data set. 


My project is based on the King Penguin, the King Penguin is 1 of 18 members of its family. There are about 18–21 species in 1 family (Spheniscidae) with 6 species found in oceans of the Southern Hemisphere.


The data I chose to focus on was the average life span of a King Penguin, so below I have data in the range of their life span.

a) 10

b) 9

c) 3

d) 9

e) 27

f) 21

g) 13

h) 3

i) 19

j) 22

k) 10

l) 12

Mean 
13.166666666667

Median 
11

Mode
10, 9, 3

Range
24

Minimum
3

Maximum 
27


The Box and Whisker plot helps show how the data is distributed, this also gives an idea as to the lifespan data.


nPr :
12!
(12 - 3)!
= 1320


nCr :
12!
(3!(12-3)!)


12!
3! x 9!
= 220

Combination vs Permutation: 

Combination and Permutation is the way that a set is arranged. Permutation means the order of the chosen set matters and combination means the order does not matter.  For this AP I have to choose Combinations because that is showing the number of different set I could have chosen. After all I did have to choose the 3 organisms that would survive.

Test Score 

(x)

Difference from the mean

(x- x)

(Difference from the mean)2

 (x-x)2


10

-3.16

9.9856

9

-4.16

17.3056

3

-10.16

103.2256

9

-4.16

17.3056

27

13.84

191.5456

21

7.84

61.4656

13

0.16

0.0256

3

10.16

103.2256

19

5.84

34.1056

22

10

12

8.84

3.16

-1.16

78.1456

9.9856

1.3456


Sum of (Difference from the mean)2

(x-x)2




(Slide show still in the works, will be finished by Saturday 11 AM.)


In conclusion, this project was really fun to do and I enjoyed learning more about Harbor seals, I found it interesting that King Penguins have an ancestor called the Great Auk. I definitely think that this should be a project that is done again.



Work cited:


The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “Great Auk | History, Habitat, Extinct, and Facts.” Encyclopedia Britannica, 3 July 2019, www.britannica.com/animal/great-auk.


“The Extinction of the Great Auk.” John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove, 22 Dec. 2015, johnjames.audubon.org/extinction-great-auk.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...