Skip to main content

Rabbits the baby making maniac

Welcome to my AP Project on Population Dynamics

In this unit, we explored the principles of population growth and how they vary across species and periods. My focus was on rabbit populations and their comparisons to human population trends. Through this investigation, I delved into the factors that drive population changes, such as periods of rapid growth and phases of decline.

The video below offers a comprehensive overview of my findings, including the math equations that model rabbit and human population growth. These equations reflect the geometric sequence I applied to calculate the data in my graph, where each subsequent value is derived by multiplication or division – a core concept in population modeling.

In addition, the video highlights the fascinating symbiotic relationship between rabbits and humans, examining how rabbits benefit ecosystems while also posing challenges due to their rapid reproductive rates. You'll find general facts about rabbits and insights into their importance to humans, enriching the overall context of this analysis.




Year

Organism Population

Human Population

1991

523,210,000

5.368 billion

1999

546,171,000

6.034 billion

2001

584,813,000

6.194 billion

2009

595,280,000

6.84 billion

2010

614,940,000

6.922 billion

2011

624,574,000

7.004 billion

2012

6555,204,00

7.089 billion

2013

655,649,000

7.176 billion

2014

706,303,000

7.262 billion

2015

706,964,000

7.348 billion

2016

707,635,618

7,435,018,452


Using this data, I calculated a geometric sequence for the rabbit population with a growth rate of 1.0009. This value was derived by dividing the rabbit population in 2015 by that in 2014. For human population growth, the geometric sequence was 1.0118, calculated from the human population data between 2015 and 2014.

Above is the population of both rabbits and humans. The geometric sequence for rabbits in the world is 1.00093585897 I got this number by dividing the last two numbers into my data which were the numbers 706,964,000 and 706,303,000. This means that the estimate for the next set of data would be 707,635,618


The Geometric sequence for the growth rate of humans in the US is 1.011842467639769 I got this number by dividing the last two numbers into my data which were the numbers 7.348 billion and 7.262 billion. This means that the next data set would be 7,435,018,452.

Working on this project allowed me to gain deeper insights into population dynamics, particularly in understanding how species like rabbits and humans impact their environments differently. I hope you enjoy the video, and thank you for exploring this topic with me!


Work cited:


https://datacommons.org/place/Earth?utm_medium=explore&mprop=count&popt=Person&hl=en


https://ypte.org.uk/factsheets/rabbit/rabbits-and-humans


https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/evolution-of-rabbits/


https://wabbitwiki.com/images/a/ae/Facts_and_figures_2012.pdf


https://www.avma.org/resources/reports-statistics/market-research-statistics-us-pet-ownership-2007


https://www.pdsa.org.uk/~/media/pdsa/files/pdfs/veterinary/pdsa_animal_wellbeing_report_2011.ashx?la=en


http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergingissues/downloads/RabbitReport1.pdf



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...