Skip to main content

Global Peace Civic Engagement

During Civic term, this year I am in a Global Peace class. In this course, we learned about Gandhi's 4 principles of non-violence. During this course, we served our community in so many ways, from packing lunches to sorting through books. Below are reflections from each of the civic engagement hours we did.

Cradles to Crayons:

It connects to Gandhi because we're helping others find their inner peace. I know it can be hard to ask for help and want to take things that people donate. However we are helping individuals, not only does this give us a sense of self-worth but a sense that I made someone's day, heck probably their life better.

Feed My Starving Children:

Feed my starving children is an organization dedicated to helping pack thousands of packs of food to send across the world. The food we packed will go on to feed one child for over 6 months. During that time, they will not only gain nutrients, but they will also not have to worry about what their next meal is going to be.

Chicago Food Depository:

According to their website, 1 in 5 Chicagoans, is experiencing food insecurity. While I was there, I admit I was complaining at first, however, I started to think I have food at home, whilst others do not. I am able to eat and someone others cannot. The oranges that I helped pack will go on to make someone's day better as well as to put a smile on someone's face.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...