Skip to main content

The Hate U Give - A life scarred by inequality

Welcome to my blog! In this unit on banned books, we dove into literature that’s been restricted, exploring why some works were labeled as too “immoral” or “offensive” for readers. For this project, we each selected a banned book to research. Having the freedom to choose gave me a real sense of responsibility—though, as an indecisive person, picking just one book wasn’t easy! I debated between The Color Purple by Alice Walker, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, and Native Son by Richard Wright. In the end, I settled on The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas because of its powerful take on issues that resonate deeply with today’s world.

The Hate U Give challenged me to confront and reflect on my own experiences and biases. As someone passionate about public service, I was especially drawn to how the book voiced real-world injustices, giving readers a chance to understand struggles often overlooked or dismissed. The story felt urgent, relevant, and incredibly important, especially for those of us who feel a responsibility to change the systems around us.


   Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give. 2018



In conclusion, I gained valuable insights into why books are banned and why some works continue to face censorship. I believe banning The Hate U Give is a mistake; its message is crucial for young readers and adults alike. As my teacher pointed out, the story’s setting could be any city—Chicago, Los Angeles, New York—all places that mirror our everyday lives. Until the issues it highlights are truly addressed, this book needs to remain accessible. Writing this research paper gave me a chance to deepen my understanding of these topics, and I hope you find this post meaningful as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...