Skip to main content

The Artery Cubeeeeeee

In this Unit of Cure, we took a unique approach and explored the mechanisms behind over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications. Our study began with the basics of chemistry: we examined how various compounds and chemical reactions work, learned to balance reactions, and identified and differentiated between ionic, organic, and inorganic compounds. As we progressed, we discovered that many medications achieve their effects by inhibiting specific chemicals or processes, leading to results such as pain relief. To deepen our understanding, we researched the effects of anti-inflammatories and antihistamines, discovering how they act as inhibitors by blocking or occupying critical pathways in bodily processes, thus preventing other substances from interacting in the same way.

A particularly memorable experiment involved sampling the "Miracle Berry," a fruit that alters taste perception by binding to taste buds, allowing us to taste all flavors except sour ones. After eating the berry, I could even enjoy the taste of a lemon! This hands-on experience gave us insight into how inhibitory substances can affect the body in real life. To conclude, we visited an apothecary to explore medicines that target specific conditions.

For my personal research, I chose to investigate Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD), a condition affecting my extended family. PAD reduces blood flow to the limbs by narrowing peripheral arteries, a prevalent and concerning public health issue. By analyzing trends in PAD cases over time, I gained insight into its rising impact and the importance of effective treatment. I dedicated considerable time to understanding the mechanisms of action for common PAD treatments, focusing on pharmacological interventions, such as antiplatelet medications and vasodilators, which reduce blood clotting and expand blood vessels, as well as revascularization procedures.


Slide show: 



I am proud of how this project turned out, especially given the depth of research and effort it required. Exploring alternative treatments, I found myself particularly interested in garlic supplements as a healthy option—and I love garlic bread! This AP provided me with valuable insight into the science behind medications and strengthened my passion for learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plagues - How deadly are they?

Welcome to My Blog on Disease! In this unit of my STEAM course,  Disease , we dove into the classification and impact of diseases—learning about endemics, sporadic cases, epidemics, pandemics, and more. We explored methods to combat these threats, starting with a Model UN simulation on handling a zombie apocalypse, where I represented the UK. Though my country survived, we ended up in massive debt, a clear reminder of the challenges leaders face even with ample resources. For our Action Project, we each selected a disease and researched a specific historical outbreak. The task was to create a newspaper article explaining the disease's spread, impact, and prevention measures. I chose to focus on the Bubonic Plague and crafted a news story to communicate what caused its devastating outbreak, how it was controlled, and how similar outbreaks can be prevented today. Through this project, I discovered fascinating details about the Black Plague’s deadly rampage across Europe in the 1300s....

Stories: Mythological or real?

Welcome to my blog,  The name of this course is Stories and our main focus is looking into how people tell stories differently. For this Action Project, we had to create our own mythological creature that helped us represent an SDG we chose. I chose SDG 5 which is all about Gender Equality. We took a short Field Experience to the Poetry Foundation. We looked at Monica Ong's exhibit called "Planatria" It gave me inspiration for my project. I made a hybrid named Ligon.  We had to create a character profile for our hybrid creature. I really enjoyed doing this because it helped me tap into my creativity, I was able to use my knowledge of mythological creatures and greek mythology to try and fix a problem and create a Utopia. My character profile: The Ligon: What does a Ligon look like? Where does the Ligon originate from?  The Ligon hails from areas of Southeast Asia, areas extending from Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. I chose these countries because dragons have appeared throu...

Am I really a Global Peace Maker?

Hello all! It's been quite some time since I last made a blog post. First I wish you all a wonderful Merry Christmas, and an amazing new year! This term, I was in a class called Global peace, this term we focused on methods that would and should bring attention to issues in our community, in nonviolent ways. Global peace also focused on the Gandhian principles of truth, nonviolence, Sarvadoya, and Satyagraha. In Global Peace, we went on some inspiring FEs like the neighborhood walk. On this FE we got to walk through two different neighborhoods and observe the differences between them. For this AP I had to make a plan to combat an issue, I chose gun violence, and the purpose of this is to promote a sense that we are all welcome, and we can all live in a community without violence. The purpose is also to show that we are on a united front to stand against gun violence. I hope you enjoy my slide show, and I hope it will help you understand why gun violence is a prevalent issue in all...